Homeowners have come across defective wet areas, that weren’t built well are now causing them trouble. It is a recurring problematic area which should be taken care immediately. Professional balcony waterproofing companies can offer a great solution to resolve such issue. They will ensure that water will not be able to penetrate inside the house, which will save you from any further damages.
The design and material composition of the balcony could be a major reason for the weakening of the structure, caused by water leakages. It plays a major role in the application of the membrane and tiles. Balconies should be well constructed, considering all the possible outcomes the location has to offer. The construction methods have always been changing and adapting to the current requirement. Balconies require a good amount of fall that allows water to run off to the drainage point.
Balcony Waterproofing does not look easy and might require days, sometimes months to repair the damages. If the situation of the balcony is observed in its early stages, the damage will not intensify. The costs involved in renovation and replacement can cause you sadness. People sometimes have needed their balconies to be replaced, due to the deterioration that was caused by water leakage. People need to consider the climatic changes that have been taking place in their location and should accordingly go for solutions.
Some of the steps that is necessary for balcony waterproofing.
- Substrate: A substrate material is an underlying layer. It should be suitable and compatible in nature. It should be resistant to damage that might be created due to moisture. The Substrate should be always clean and far away from contamination and dust.
- Waterproof Membrane: A Membrane is a layer that helps in waterproofing, by stopping water from seeping through it. One needs to choose the right membrane and apply it. A liquid membrane is used as a binding agent from leakages. The membrane should be protected while applying the final coat from dust and rain.
- Fillets: A fillet is used in places where a balcony floor meets the wall, or a membrane changes from a horizontal to a vertical plane.
- Termination of Membrane: It is used at the ends of the membrane joints to prevent water entry.
- Drains: The membrane should be well connected to the drainage system. This will further increase the life-shell of the balcony.
- Overlaying Surface Finishes: Now it is time for the membrane to be overlaid with either tiles or carpets, depending upon personal preferences. The overlaying surface should be always compatible with the membrane and should not cause further damage. It is advisable not to switch professionals, and hand over the job of the membrane and overlaying surface to one single professional. Thus, avoiding different working styles and risk of damage of the tiles or membrane.
- Inspection: Once the installation of the membrane is completed and appropriate time is given for things to set in its place, a thorough inspection should be taken place to test the waters by non-destructive means. Many companies do provide its clients with a Certificate that confirms the balcony has been waterproofed within the regulations and guidelines.
Balcony waterproofing is one of the common and most important things that one should consider. It is advisable to contact certified waterproofing professionals, to get a quality work done that provides full proof solutions. Many companies come up with unique concepts that help customers to opt for the best suitable plan for their balcony. So, if you come across any signs of damage, you know who to call!